How do I apply for services?

If you believe a family member has an intellectual disability or a related disability such as autism, please call the intake and referral line toll-free at 1-800-289-7012. If a head injury or spinal cord injury is suspected the consumer or the family member can contact 1-866-867-3864. This toll-free line is staffed during normal business hours; however, messages can be left at any time with calls returned in the next two business days. Once they make the referral they will be given a choice of an intake provider, for which MaxAbilities is an intake provider.

If the applicant meets screening criteria, he/she will be provided with a list of available case management or early intervention (CM/EI) providers. The family also has the option of contacting MaxAbilities directly at 803-628-5999 to assist with the intake process from the beginning.


You may also complete the initial screening tool online:

How will a Case Manager help me?

A Case Manager will guide you once you complete the eligibility process with the intake worker. Once your family member is eligible for services and you choose your case management provider, that person will help you determine the services that you need and will assist you in applying for those services. Your Case Manager will provide you with a list of helpful and commonly used resources.

How can I get a break from caregiving duties?

Respite services are available to families who have a higher level of need. Respite services are available through local family support funding or the CS, HASCI and ID/RD Waiver programs for those who qualify. Contact your Case Manager for more information.

What are Family Support Funds and how do I qualify?

Family Support Funds provide assistance to families in caring for a DSN eligible person in order to avoid out-of-home placement. This service is directed toward individuals and families who can care for themselves or their family member at home, but incur additional expenses due to the person’s disability. Family Support Funds is not an entitlement program or a general public assistance benefit. Allocation of funding will be prioritized to assist individuals and families with the greatest needs that, if not provided are likely to result in out-of-home placement. Financial information is required when applying for Family Support Funds in order to demonstrate that the cost of services and supports is above the families’ ability to pay and that the family meets established income guidelines for this funding. However, funds for respite are not income tested. Family Support Funds are time limited. Persons participating in any Home and Community Based Program are not eligible for Family Support Funds. Family Support Funds are most frequently used for respite, medical care and assistive technology needs. For more information and availability of Family Support Funds, please contact your Early Interventionist, Case Manager or Family Supports Director at 803-628-5999.

What is a waiver? How do I get it?

A Waiver is a provision in the Federal Medicaid guidelines that allows people who meet specific criteria the opportunity to receive services and supports that enable them to live in their community or at home with their families. There are four types of waivers administered by SCDDSN: Intellectual Disabilities/Related Disabilities (ID/RD) Waiver, Head and Spinal Cord Injuries (HASCI) Waiver and the Community Supports Waiver (CSW).


Section 1915(c) of the Federal Social Security Act enables the SC Department of Health and Human services to collaborate with the South Carolina Department of Disabilities and Special Needs (SCDDSN) to provide Home and Community-Based Waiver programs.


Waiver participants can receive Medicaid-funded services and supports in their own home and other community settings instead of in a nursing facility or institution. The cost of Medicaid Waiver services must be less expensive than or equal to the costs of institutional care.


Contact your Case Manager to be placed on the waiting list for the waiver program for which you best qualify.


Types of Waiver Programs and Programs Offered

The HASCI Waiver is limited to people up to age 60 years, with the following conditions:

  • traumatic brain injury
  • spinal cord injury
  • both traumatic brain injury and spinal cord injury
  • a similar disability not associated with the process of a progressive degenerative illness, disease, dementia or a neurological disorder related to aging


Persons enrolled prior to age 60 continue to be eligible after their 60th birthday if all other eligibility factors are met.


To qualify for HASCI waiver services a person must:

  • Be eligible for HASCI Division services
  • Request HASCI waiver services through his/her Service Coordinator
  • Be eligible for Medicaid or already covered by Medicaid
  • Meet Level of Care criteria for Intermediate Care Facility for the Mentally Retarded or Nursing Facility
  • Have urgent circumstances affecting his/her health or functional status and which could be life-threatening
  • Be dependent on others to provide or assist with critical health needs, basic activities of daily living or require daily monitoring or supervision to avoid institutionalization
  • Need services not otherwise available within existing community resources, including family, private means and other agencies/programs, or for whom current resources are inadequate to meet the basic needs of the individual to allow him/her to remain in the home
  • Be able to live safely in a home setting
  • Attendant care/personal care assistance services
  • Communication services
  • Habilitation services, including day, prevocational, supported employment, and residential
  • Occupational therapy
  • Personal emergency response system
  • Physical therapy
  • Prescribed drugs
  • Private nursing services
  • Psychological services
  • Respite care
  • Specialized Supplies and Assistive Technology

To qualify for ID/RD Waiver services a person must:

  • Be eligible for the ID/RD Division services (have intellectual disability or a related disability)
  • Be eligible for Medicaid or already covered by Medicaid
  • Meet Level of Care criteria for Intermediate Care Facility for the Persons with Intellectual Disabilities(ICF/ID)
  • Have needs that can be met through the provision of ID/RD waiver services
  • Be given the option of receiving services in his/her home and community or in an Intermediate Care Facility for persons with Intellectual Disabilities(ICF/ID)


ID/RD Waiver (CSW) Services

  • Adult Attendant Care Services (limited to 28 hours/week in combination with Adult Companion and Personal Care 2)
  • Career Preparation
  • Community Services
  • Day Activity
  • Employment Services
  • Support Center Services
  • Personal Care I & II services (limited to 6 hours/week of Personal Care 1 – limited to 28 hours/week of Personal Care 2 in combination with Adult Attendant Care and Companion)
  • Respite Care (limited to 68 hours/month unless approved for an exception by DDSN)
  • Environmental Modifications (lifetime monetary cap of $7,500 per recipient)
  • Specialized Medical Equipment, Supplies and Assistive Technology
  • Adult Companion services (limited to 28 hours/week in combination with Adult Attendant Care and Personal Care 2)
  • Psychological services
  • Behavior Support services
  • Personal Emergency Response System
  • Residential Habilitation
  • Prescribed Drugs
  • Audiological services
  • Private Vehicle Modifications (lifetime monetary cap of $7500 per vehicle, limit 2 vehicles)
  • Adult Dental services
  • Adult Vision services
  • Nursing services (limited to 56 hours/week of LPN or 42 hours/week of RN)
  • Adult Day Health Care (including ADHC Nursing and Transportation)

To qualify for Community Supports Waiver services a person must:

  • Be eligible for the ID/RD Division services (have an intellectual disability or a related disability)
  • Be eligible for Medicaid or already covered by Medicaid
  • Meet Level of Care criteria for Intermediate Care Facility for persons with Intellectual Disabilities (ICF/ID)
  • Have needs that can be met through the provision of Community Supports waiver services
  • Be given the option of receiving services in his/her home and community or in an Intermediate Care Facility for persons with Intellectual Disabilities(ICF/ID)
  • Maintain services within the individual cost limit


Community Supports Waiver (CSW) Services

  • Adult Day Health Care Services (including ADHC nursing & transportation)
  • Behavior Support Services
  • Day Activity
  • Career Preparation
  • Community Services
  • Employment Services
  • Support Center Services
  • Self-Directed In-Home Support
  • Environmental Modification
  • Personal Care Services
  • Private Vehicle Modification
  • Psychological Services
  • Respite Services
  • Specialized Medical Supplies, Equipment, Assistive Technology and Appliances

Are there waiting lists for services?

Yes. There are waiting lists for all of the waiver programs, residential programs and day service programs. For those needing residential services, the waiting lists are prioritized by those who have the most critical need for service. The HASCI Waiver and ID/RD waiver programs have a critical and regular waiting list for services. Slots are provided off of the critical waiting list before moving to the regular waiting list. The CSW and PDD Waiver waiting lists do not differentiate between critical and regular lists.

My Case Manager never calls me anymore. Shouldn’t they be calling me on a regular basis?

In the past, the state set a lower level of case management, call it “Level 2 Service Coordination”. With this designation there is no requirement for bi-monthly contact, 6 month plan reviews and annual plan development. Although this designation no longer exists in this form, individuals without an active “need” do not qualify for targeted case management. However, as needs arise, you need to call your case manager, Director of Family Supports or our switchboard to let us know your situation has changed. This will begin the assessment and planning process.

Why does the intake process take so long?

As part of the intake process, records are gathered to determine the type and onset of disability for which you are applying for services. At times additional testing is recommended to determine if you qualify for services. For those pursuing eligibility under the Autism Division, if an autism evaluation is needed from the CARE Center, there is typically a 6-12 month wait for these evaluations.


Do you have vacancies at MaxAbilities of York County?

Yes, please refer to the job posting list on this website.

How do I apply for your positions?

Applications can be submitted at the Administration Building located at 7900 Park Place Road in York between the hours of 9:00 am and 4:00 pm. You will be asked to take a survey which should last up to 20 minutes after you complete your application. A candidate can also apply at the SC Workforce Center on Fincher Road in Rock Hill. You will be asked to come to the administrative office to complete your survey. You can also fill out a job inquiry, which is available on this website.

What happens to my application once I apply?

Written correspondence will be provided to determine if a candidate will be considered further after an application has been processed. If there is an address change after an application is placed, the correspondence will be returned to the Agency.

What are the hours for part-time positions?

Many of the part-time positions are weekend (Saturday & Sunday) – either 8am–8pm or 8pm–8am. There are a few part-time positions during the week between the core hours of 8:30 am and 3:30 pm. For openings, please refer to our job listings.

Is there a training program?

Employees applying for positions are required to attend training if offered employment. For all positions, except Respite or Temporary Community employees, there is a 90 day training program. The program for Temporary Community employees is shorter and can be completed within the 1st month of training.

Is formal classroom training offered during the day?

Yes – once hired, you will have access to the training calendar which is located within the employee section of this website.

Is online training available?

MaxAbilities of York County training requires classroom attendance. There will be “specialty” training available online from time to time, but the orientation process is all classroom.

Is it paid training?

Yes, it is paid at a training wage.

What benefits do you offer employees?

Dependent upon the classification, the following benefits are offered:

Temporary positions – no benefits are offered other than those required; the employee can opt to participate in the retirement program upon hire.
Part-time positions – employees in this classification are required to participate in retirement.
Full time positions – in addition to retirement, employees in this classification are eligible for all benefits to include insurance programs, leave/holiday, and 401K all of which have waiting periods. There are required benefits that would apply to all positions.

What are the qualifications for your positions?

Positions and qualifications vary. Entry level positions require a High School Diploma/GED. Other positions require either a 2 or 4 year degree (or one is preferred). Experience is required for supervisory positions. All positions require a valid SC/NC driver’s licence.

If employed, are there other requirements to be met?

All employees hired or volunteering are to successfully meet all screening requirements prior to reporting to work. They include: 2 work references, Central Registry Checks, CMS Excluded List Checks and background checks, i.e. South Carolina Law Enforcement (SLED) checks, background checks from states lived in within the past 10 years. In some cases FBI checks are performed. The employee/volunteer provides the level of education required for the position. A physical, drug screen, 2 step tuberculin skin test, copy of valid driver’s license and driving record are required. Other items are required when the employee reports.

What if I am hired for a respite (temporary community position), would the above apply?


Does MaxAbilities of York County utilize interns and if so what programs?

Some majors that interest the Family Supports service area include Social Work, Elementary Education, Special Education, etc. Residential & Vocational Support Program service areas utilize interns with majors in Human Services, i.e. Psychology, Sociology, etc. Other service areas where interns can be utilized are Finance, Nursing and Human Resources.

Are intern requirements the same as other employees?


What incentives do you offer employees?

We offer an excellent benefits package, service awards, and employee recognition functions. Some of our employees are students and can only work certain days; there are temporary positions that may work better with their schedules. Employees who are interested in advancing within the Agency and meet necessary qualifications can discuss opportunities with supervision for succession within the Agency.

Are the internships paid?

It varies – most are unpaid.